James M. Nelson and Margaret E. Nelson opened the Nelson Funeral Home at 205 Highland
Avenue, Vine Grove, Kentucky. They had their first funeral service July 7, 1948. C.
Alex Edelen purchased interest in the funeral home in 1949 which then became known as
the Nelson-Edelen Funeral Home. In 1959, the funeral home became known as the
Nelson-Edelen-Bennett Funeral Home when Margaret and Owen Bennett Jr., purchased the
Nelson's portion of the business. They purchased the rest of the business in 1977 and
remained the sole owners until 1996. Due to illness and impending death of Owen Bennett,
his daughter and son-in-law, Beth and Larry Calvert became partners.
The funeral home in Vine Grove, still at its original address, continues to be the
office and full operational facility. In 1971, Nelson-Edelen-Bennett Funeral Home
at 2072 S. Dixie Boulevard, Radcliff, Kentucky was opened.